This is a pleasant seaside resort with a good sandy beach, on the eastern shore of Waterford Harbour. On a rocky headland guarding the approach to the estuary is Duncannon Fort, covering an area of about three acres. This was the site of the prehistoric dun of Conan, after which the town was named. In the twelfth century it was selected for defensive purposes by the Anglo-Normans, and in 1588 the English government strengthened the fortifications as a precaution against the Spanish Armada. During the wars of the seventeenth century the fort was taken by the Confederate Catholics after a two-month siege. It was later defended against a Cromwellian force, and only surrendered in 1650 after the capitulation of Waterford.
Select another location in Wexford: