Durlas Eile (strong fort of Eliogarty), now anglicised to Thurles, sits astride the river Suir. Like Nenagh and Clonmel it owes its development to the Norman butlers. Remains of two of their fortresses survive - the 15th century tower house guarding the bridge and, at the other end of the square and hidden behind shops, the one-time home of Lady Thurles, mother of James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormond.
Thurles also has two churches, two convents, two seminaries, and a presbytery. Archbishops of the diocese have lived here, rather than at Cashel town - the traditional see - since 1723.
Select another location in Tipperary: