Swinford , is a bustling market town, situated along the main Castlebar-Dublin road (N5) on a tributary of the famous River Moy.
This lively town is only 10km from Knock International Airport, and 20 minutes drive from Mayo's capital town, Castlebar. It was built in the latter part of the 18th century by the Brabazon family who obtained land in the area during the Cromwellian settlement.
Part of the Brabazon estate is now a public park which features one of Swinfords finest features, its 9-hole golf course. The estate also includes a football field and a sports centre.
The front of what was a hospital building is the only surviving section of Swinford Workhouse, which was in use from 1846 to 1926. Behind the hospital is a poignant reminder of the devastation caused by the Great Famine 1846 -1849. It contains one of the best-preserved mass famine graves in the country, where 564 victims were buried.
The Catholic Church (1891) has beautiful stained glass windows by Richard King and Hubert McGoldrick. The popular Siamsa Sraide festival takes place annually during the first week in August.
Swinford is renowned for its fishing waters, in particular the Callow lakes which yield excellent brown trout. Swinford is also within close proximity of the great fishing lakes of Conn and Cullin.
Select another location in Mayo: