Lousiburgh (Cluain Cearban), which in Irish means 'meadow of the buttercups' was renamed after an uncle of the Marquis of Sligo who, in 1758 helped capture the French fortress of Lousiburgh in Nova Scotia.
It is a pleasant town at the mouth of the Bunowen River, 22 km south of Westport. It was founded by the Browne family of Westport House.
Louisburgh is the focal point of a region of great natural beauty, a gateway to the romantic solitudes of Glencullin and Doo Lough, and an area with fine blue-flagged sandy beaches. It is a notable district for game fishing, surfing, swimming, mountain climbing and nature trails. Roonah Quay, 6.5 km west, is the starting place for boat trips to Clare Island and Inishturk.
The area around Lousiburgh has an interesting archaeological heritage with court-tombs at Aillemore and Formoyle,a wedge-tomb at Srahwee, friaries at Kilgeever and Murrisk, a clapper footbridge (a stone bridge with 37 arches) at Killeen, and many other monuments, especially around Killadoon. There is a beautiful forest walk at Old Head.
The Granuaile Centre is now a major attraction in the town.
Select another location in Mayo: