Collon is now the remains of a manorial village of the Foster family nearby Oriel Temple now the Cistercian Abbey of New Mellifont where visitors are welcome during the daylight hours. Originally the home of chief baron Foster who settled his demesne here in the 1750's, his son John who succeeded him was the celebrated speaker of the Irish house of Commons until its closure under the act of Union of 1801. The village architecture is of the late 18th century and consists of two rows of two storey estate houses with a grassy market place in the upper end. On the north-eastern corner of the crossroads stands Collon House built c1740 by the chief baron Anthony Foster with a later 18th century addition.
Select another location in Louth: