Lanesboro is in a pivoted position located on the river Shannon at the Northern entrance to Lough Ree. In ancient times Lanesboro was known by the Irish name Beal Atha Liag, which when translated means "Mouth of the Ford."
The town of Lanesboro is called after the family name Lane who owned large tracts of land in the vicinity. The river divides Lanesboro from Ballyleague which is located in Co Roscommon.
The first bridge across the river was made from wattles. In the year 1706 a stone bridge was built from the stones taken from Geoffrey Meares Norman Castle which stood where the car park is situated. The present bridge was built in 1847 and was updated in 1970.
Lanesboro today has blossomed into a thriving little town with many facilities for visitors and locals alike. It has long been recognised as one of the foremost angling centres in Ireland. Cloontuskert Abbey may be seen in this area. This abbey was founded by Saints Brendan and Faithleach about AD520.
Select another location in Longford: