This quiet town, pleasantly situated in hilly ground beside the Liffey, is named from the Eustace family, one of whom was constable there in the 14th century. In the churchyard of St. John's church are two monolithic granite crosses, one of which is decorated with circles and bosses in deep relief and with an inscription dated 1689, which is believed to be a later addition. Inside the church there is an ancient font, and the effigy of a 16th century FitzEustace knight.
Another Eustace monument is in the ruined medieval church of St James at Coghlanstown, 3km west of Ballymore Eustace. It is part of a 17th century cross decorated with the Arms of the family, the name of Lord Portlester, who died in 1486, and the arms of the town of Naas. Features of the church include a belfry, ogee headed windows, a font, a piscina niche and a pulpit built out from the wall high above the ground.
Broadlease Stone Circle, a pre-christian ritual site, is 2km from the town on the Hollywood road.
Select another location in Kildare: