Genealogy Centres in Armagh
County Armagh Genealogy - Armagh Ancestry
42 English Street
Some Common Armagh Surnames
Among the most common surnames in Armagh are Murphy, Hughes, Wilson, Campbell, O'Hare, Smith, McCann, Donnelly, Watson and Quinn.
The main towns in County Armagh include Armagh City, Loughgall, Tynan, Portadown, Lurgan and Derrynoose.
The Centre holds about 1.5 million records on individuals who were natives of the historic County of Armagh.
The main records include:
- Roman Catholic records, the earliest of which date from 1790
- Church of Ireland records from their inception to 1922
- Presbyterian recordsfrom their inception to 1922
- Civil records from their inception to 1922
- Computerised directories
- Wills Gravestone inscriptions and other sources.
The earliest complete census for County Armagh is the Census of Ireland of 1901 but the centre holds census fragments from 1821 onwards.
Emigration from County Armagh
Emigrants from Armagh have settled the world over from Pennsylvania in the U.S.A. to Ballarat in Australia. The county was severely hit by the Great Famine. Numerous workhouses and hospitals were constructed to help the sick and destitute. Large numbers of people emigrated at that time.