- Tuam is about a 30 minute drive north of Galway city in County Galway
- Tuam gets its name from the Tumulus - a bronze age burial ground - on which the town is built.
- It was established in the 5th century when St Jarlath founded a monastery here, stopping when a wheel broke on his chariot.
- The O'Connor Kings, Turlough and Ruari, lived here In the 11th century.Turlough built a castle and an abbey which later became a cathedral. All that remains is part of the wall of their castle, a stone throne known as the chair of Tuam, and the O'Connor name.
- The famous Irish band the Saw Doctors are from Tuam and the 'N17' which they wrote about in one of their songs, passes through the town!
Select another location in Galway: