- The village of Roundstone (the stone of the seals) on the west side of Roundstone Bay, is perhaps the most picturesque fishing harbour in Connemara.
- It can be found approx 70km west of Galway city but it's well worth a visit here to see the world famous scenery
- It owes its origins to Alexander Nimmo, the great 19th century Scottish engineer who not alone constructed its first pier but also personally helped to develop this delightful village.
- Today, a number of small craft industries operate in the area including bodhran making
- Roundstone is a fine holiday resort, with intimate pubs and restaurants overlooking the harbour
- Artists, botanists, sailors and sea anglers can all indulge themselves here
- The hill climber will also feel at home here, for Roundstone lies beneath Errisbeg Mountain, an easy climb for most, with fantastic views of sea, lakes and mountains waiting as a reward.
Select another location in Galway: