- Rossaveal or Rosaveel - "The peninisula of the whale or sea-monster", is 36 km west from Galway city and is now the chief fishing harbour of County Galway.
- A series of new quays to service the modern larger trawlers replace the old 19th century boats to carry turf to the Aran Islands.
- Rossaveel now acts as a ferry port for the vessels making the short trip to the Aran Islands - see Aran Island Ferries.
- A fine example of a Martello Tower dating from the start of the 19th century and built to curb invasion attempts by the French stands a little further south along the coast of Casla Bay.
- At the end of the bay lies the important cross-roads of Casla where Udaras na Gaeltachta has established an industrial estate near the headquarters of Radio na Gaeltachta, the Irish-language broadcasting service.
Select another location in Galway: