- Loughrea is a beautiful town located about 35km south east of Galway city
- This tranquil countryside contains rich fine farmland. As a result it has been inhabited since prehistory, and archaeological remains are everywhere here.
- Loughrea's ecclesiastical connections stretch back through the mists of time, and continue today.
- The town can boast of having the only working 'Town Moat' in Ireland. This waterfilled medieval moat was built in the mid-13th century. It ran directly outside the medieval walls, and its circuit can still be seen.
- Loughrea town is named after the grey lake near which it is built.
- It has excellent fishing and boats can be hired locally.
Select another location in Galway: