- Kilcolgan, Cill Cholgain - "The Church of Colga", lies on the N18 to Gort.
- This village is named after St. Colga, who left Iona in the 6th century to found his own monastery, which now lies under the ruins of the Protestant church beside Kilcolgan Castle overlooking the estuary of the Dunkellin River.
- Both the castle and the impressive ruins of Tyrone House nearby (built in 1770), were once residents of the St. George family, whose family burial vaults are at Drumacoo (on the Kinvara road).
- This is an ancient church site (dedicated to 6th century St. Sourney) which contains a most impressive transitional-type doorway.
- The Dunkellin River is a noted sea trout fishery and the world-renowned Moran's of the Weir Oyster Pub is conveniently situated at its mouth.
Select another location in Galway: