- Carraroe is about a 1 hour drive west of Galway city on the coastal road R336
- Carraroe is perhaps the main centre of Cois Fharraige, (By the Sea), the extensive Gaeltacht (Irish-speaking) area of South Connemara.
- It is one of the most important places promoting Irish culture involving both language, song and dance and, like many places in the district, organises Irish Summer schools for children from English-speaking areas.
- It's also a very popular holiday resort for Irish-speaking holiday makers from other parts of the country.
- This is also the ideal base from which to explore not only its own peninsula wedged between Casla Bay and Greatman's Bay, but also the whole series of islands composed of Lettermore, Gorumna and Lettermullen, all joined by a causeway to the mainland.
- There is an old world atmosphere to be found here, with endless winding boreens and high granite walls leading to now silent turf quays and deserted beaches.
Select another location in Galway: