- North-west 12 miles (19 km) from Loughrea is Athenry.
- The Dominican priory founded here in 1241 was an important house of the Order, in 1644 it had a brief revival as a university, but the buildings were soon to be destroyed by the Cromwellians.
- Other points of interest at Athenry are the castle (1238), the market cross and part of the old town walls.
- Between Athenry and Galway city is the pleasant town of Oranmore, at the head of a creek that forms part of Galway Bay. The castle was built by the Earl of Clanricarde.
- The Galway Bay Sailing Club is situated here at Renvyle with boats for hire and tuition given.
- The town of Athenry is known far and wide by the song "The Fields of Athenry"
Select another location in Galway: