- The Aran Islands are definately well worth a visit when in Galway in the west of Ireland
- Thirty miles out to sea from Galway lie the three Aran Islands, home of the sturdy fisherfolk immortalised by the playwright J.M. Synge in Riders to the Sea and The Aran Islands.
- The three islands- Inishmore (7635 acres), Inishman (2252 acres) and Inisheer (1400)- are rugged and barren.
- The everyday language of the islanders is Irish, and their songs and stories enshrine much of Ireland's folklore and culture.
- Kilronan located on Inishmore is the main town of the islands and the terminus of the boat service from the mainland.
- Dun Aengus is one of the main attractions on the island. It's a fort built at the edge of a steep cliff which was thought to have been built in the ice age.
Select another location in Galway: