Our Temple Bar Recommendations(Back to top)
Day Time: Stroll around and enjoy the cosmopolitan buzz, watch and listen to the many street buskers and entertainers and enjoy the blend of old and new architecture. Visit the Irish Film Centre and take in an art house movie or to the Gallery of Photography. For cultural history, go and see Isolde's Tower, not the pub of the same name but the nearby remains of an ancient tower that was once part of the old city walls, and pay a visit to Dublinia, a multimedia exhibition of mediaeval Dublin that finishes with one of the most striking views in the city.
Night Time: After dark Temple Bar is all about eating, drinking and having fun. We have put together a list of our favourite pubs and clubs to visit. Check out the Temple Bar Gallery for art exhibitions and The Music Centre for gigs. The Project established itself as Dublin's most avant-garde theatre company. It's now re-housed in a new building on the original site. Among those who built their early reputations at The Project are Jim Sheridan, Oscar-winning director of My Left Foot and In America, Liam Neeson and Gabriel Byrne.
Things to Do
Temple Bar itself is the central street of an area that stretches from O'Connell Bridge and Westmoreland Street westward to Christchurch Cathedral, bounded on the south and north by Dame Street and the river.
What's Happening in Temple Bar?
Shops, culture, pubs and restaurants - Temple Bar is Dublin's self-designated Cultural Quarter. There is always something happening in Temple Bar, make sure you alway check out the markets and festivals.
Markets in Temple Bar:
· Temple Bar Food Market: Saturdays 10am - 4:30pm on Meeting House Square.
· Temple Bar Book Market: Saturdays & Sundays 11am - 6om on Temple Bar Square
· Designer Mart at Cow's Lane: Saturdays 10am - 5pm at Old City in Temple Bar -- features all handmade and designer pieces by Irish and Ireland-based artists and designers
Festivals of Temple Bar: There are many, but these are our favourites...
· Temple Bar TradFest: 28 Jan - 1 Feb 2009: Biggest and best Irish music festival in Dublin
· Dublin Circus Festival: 9 - 12 July 2009: Circus Acts come to the streets of Temple Bar
· Temple Bar's Chocolate Festival: 30 Oct - 1 Nov 2009: Free events for everyone with a love of chocolate