Glenties in its original Irish form "Na Glenntai" means The Glens. The town is situated where two glens converge into one and just up stream from the meeting of two rivers. Both rivers are renowned for fishing.
Glenties lies at the North West edge of the Blue Stack Mountains and a few kilometres from the sea. It is surrounded by mountains on three of its four sides. Only on its western side does the valley widen out as it gets closer to the Atlantic Ocean.
All around the glens and mountains are scenic walks and drives which tempt the visitor into exploration by car, bicycle or foot. Along the rugged coast are bays, beaches and beautiful coastal scenery.
The town has been described as an oasis by many people who visit. It is the trees and bushes that give the town its appearances as the visitor approaches the town, through or over the almost treeless mountains.
It is the largest centre of population in the parish of Iniskeel. St. Connell is the patron saint of the parish. The eastern half of the parish is in the gaeltacht. It is reputed to be the largest parish in Ireland.
The Church of Ireland church dates from 1825. The Roman Catholic Chuch is a modern building dedicated to St. Connell in 1974. It has a moat at the front and its setting among the trees and shrubs enhances its long sloping roof which imitates the nearby mountains. The designer; Liam McCormack won an European Award for its architecture in 1974. Its well worth a visit.
At the other end of the town is the comprehensive school; one of the first of its kind in Ireland. It stands on the site of an old hospital and workhouse which was the last refuge for the poor and destitute during the Great Famine. A monument is to be erected to them soon in the old graveyard at the rear.
Select another location in Donegal: