Derry is the province's second largest city and has an important shirt-making trade which started in the 1820s. The city stands on a hill on the Foyle estuary and, for most of its history, has been an important seaport.
The royal charter of 1613, which gave Derry a mayor and corporation and added London to its name, saw it as suitable as 'both a town of war and a town of merchandise'. The people of Derry are both soft-spoken and friendly people, they give the place an extra dimension that visitors will not encounter anywhere else in the province.
The great seventeenth-century walls which encircle the historic centre are 20-25 feet high, 30ft wide in places and a mile round.
Select another location in Derry: