- Skibbereen is a beautiful harbour town located about 80km west of Cork city in County Cork
- It is the main town in the West Cork area and is awash with wonderful pubs, restaurants and shops
- Skibbereen is situated on the River Ilen where it widens to form a creek and unites its waters with an inlet of Baltimore Bay
- Things to see in the area include Lough Hyne, or Abbetstrewery Famine Burial Pits where over 10,000 people were buried during the famine
- Skibbereen is surrounded by some of Ireland's most breathtaking scenery so outdoor activities are popular here; fishing, walking and golfing
- The town of Skibbereen and nearby villages were chosen as the setting for the film 'War of the Buttons'.
Select another location in Cork: