- The beautiful village of Mountshannon can be found in north east County Clare between the villages of Scarriff and Whitegate on the R352
- Mountshannon is a favourable haunt of anglers for the mayfly season on Lough Derg. A chain of islands lies along this part of the shore, and there is a large area of shallow water suitable for trout (the record Irish brown trout, 30 1/2 lb, was caught here).
- With the recent improvement in the harbour it has become a popular sailing centre.
- Solid 18th century stone houses and churches cluster around the harbour, together with some good pubs.
- Madden's is a prime venue for irish music.
- Mountshannon is well placed for exploring the lake's western shores, with plenty of scope for walks and bicycle rides. Fishing boats are available for hire, and in summer you can go by boat to Holy Island, the site of a monastery founded in the 7th century. The ruins include four chapels and a graveyard of medieval tombs.
Select another location in Clare: