- Kilrush - "the church on the wooded promontory" - is the capital of West Clare.
- Kilrush is about a 40 minute drive south west of Ennis on the N68
- Kilrush as a town was planned and owned by the Vandelour family in the 18th century.
- In its heyday during the late nineteenth century Kilrush was a busy trading post. Steamers from Limerick linked with the West Clare Railway to bring passengers to the seaside town of Kilkee.
- Today Kilrush is a pleasant market town on the Shannon Estuary. It has an excellent modern marina and associated maritime activities and facilities.
Select another location in Clare: