- The lake town of Killaloe is most pleasantly and picturesquely sited at the south-west tip of Lough Derg in east County Clare
- Here the visitor finds a town of great antiquity married to all the pleasures of water-based activities. Fishing, cruising, boating, sailing, swimming, wind-sailing and water-skiing are all well catered for, and are especially geared towards the visitor.
- And what a backdrop the Bernagh mountains provide!
- Under the great king of Thomond, the O'Briens, it flourished as one of the most powerful religious and political centres of early mediaeval times. St. Flannan's late 12th Century cathedral with its older exquisite Romanesque doorway (restored in 1887), and the two oratories bear ample testimony to this.
- Also in the Kincora, on the highest ground at Killaloe, was the royal settlement of Brian Boru and the other O'Brien kings, but no trace remains of any building there.
Select another location in Clare: